Monday, November 10, 2008

Doctor Visit

Well, today I made the trek in to see the doctor, full of tylenol and pseudephed (sp?) but Daddy stayed home with the sick kiddos. Dr. T had attended a birth in the morning and arrived to the office just as I got there--in time to take care of the patient on the waiting list before me. I saw Susanna again, and it was a nice little visit. It was a very little visit.

In previous pregnancies, all my prenatal care was done with Heather, my midwife. I'm accustomed to her taking an hour and chatting with me about all the little details and then life in general, and just being friendly and talkative. This visit, while nice, was completed in about half an hour, and over half of that time was spent waiting.

I discovered that if I have any questions, I really do need to write them down beforehand, because in a 15 minute visit, I will forget them. In an hour long visit with conversation, if I forgot anything, it would come up at some point. So, while I appreciate the efficiency of this visit, it does seem a bit anti-climactic after such a long drive!

Normally, I'd have all sorts of personal details to record, like blood and other bodily fluid test results, baby's heart rate, etc. This time, I know my blood pressure (same as always) and that nothing seemed to alarm anyone and I'm to return in 4 weeks. I did ask about my iron level, and it was 36.6. It has to be over 34 they say, so I'm okay. :) I also know my weight, though I don't really want to. I prefer to pretend it is what it was about 10 years ago. So, in case anyone is wondering, in my pretend world, I'm still 22 and I still weigh 115 pounds. In the real world? You'd have a bit of addition to do, and I'm not telling you how much!

My next visit is to be another short and sweet little one, and then the one following that (some time in January) will be my 20 week ultrasound where I find out what I'm having. That will be a first!

No comments: