Thursday, June 19, 2008

Dishwasher. No, bird.

Okay, I confess that I came back here to vent about the dishwasher. Our old one was recalled. The new one is a pain. It doesn't close right. It doesn't fit in our cabinets right. It won't turn on. Part of it is already broken. The first installation cracked our countertop and we're on installation #2--something I waited all day for the guy to come do and then saw I could have done THAT myself... But I won't vent. Nope. Not gonna indulge in that. I should be thankful to have a dishwasher. There are only about 7% of the people in this world that own a dishwasher, and I'm one of the blessed. So instead, I'm going to relay a funny bird story.

I have a friend named Dustin. Yes, it's a girl. I'm not the only girl in this world with a boy's name! Anyhow, it's a shame that Dustin doesn't have a blog, because she tells it so much better than I, and I could just send you there. But she's a "phone kinda' girl" rather than an "e-mail kinda' girl" so I don't think she has a blog... She told me this story yesterday and I laughed out loud to hear her tell it. I think you'll like it as well.

She was driving up to KY to buy feed. While driving, she ran over a baby bird. No tires, it just went under her car. Now, Dustin is involved with wildlife rescue, so of course she couldn't resist... She pulled over and went to it, and it was in shock--sitting there with its little beak open. So, she took it home, gave it mashed up earthworms and something else--probably chicken food. It flourished! It got so it would fly and sit on her shoulder or head, and chirp at her when she entered the room. She became Mama Bird!

After a bit of this, she decided that the bird needed to be released. Unfortunately, it had imprinted (?) on her, and she really is the bird's mama. It wouldn't go. So, Dustin put the bird in her barn. When she would go out to do chores, it would sing to her and sometimes come land on her shoulder. One day, she went out and little bird was gone. A sad, but happy moment all in one, I'm sure.

Dustin went to water the goats, and horror of horrors, the bird was in the water trough! Poor thing drowned! She went to pick it up and throw it in the woods to be food for some other wildlife but it twitched. So, she rubbed its little chest vigorously and the thing coughed up a bunch of water! She took it in the house and used the blow dryer on it, and voila! Good as new! Leave it to Dustin to revive a dead bird!

I got to hear the story b/c little bird had flown across the room and landed on Dustin's head while we were discussing hay. She screamed (just a little, really) and felt the need to explain the scream. Anyway, she should write because, like I said, she tells it so well!

I hope you enjoyed the story. It's far more uplifting than my dishwasher tale.

2 comments:

Kjerste said...

What a funny story!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I got the background from Pyzam.com. They have plenty of free backgrounds to choose from. My husband was able to edit the HTML to get rid of the orange advertising bar at the top of the page. Hope that helps!

Billie said...

Wow! Thanks! And thanks for visiting my blog! I was a bit afraid you'd think I was some wierdo commenting on a perfect stranger's blog! But now I see that if I am, so are you, so all is well! :)