This week someone asked me why I wear such baggy clothes. I was a bit taken aback, as I didn't think I was wearing (or do wear) baggy clothes! I'm afraid I responded with a somewhat flippant answer: "Why would I want to wear tight clothes? Nobody but my husband needs to see what my body looks like!" While that may be true, and may have been the best answer for the time, I've been ruminating on this question all week. Should I have taken more time in answering? Responded more lovingly? Write a letter? Stop worrying about it?
Modesty seems to be a hot topic lately, given the number of people I hear discussing it. There's a lot of good stuff out there, and there are a lot of misconceptions. I think the misconceptions regard what constitutes modesty, and folks who embrace it, such as I have come to, have to be careful of legalism. It can be a slippery slope that demonizes feminine beauty, requires the wearing of a burka, and calls for no self discipline among our brothers in Christ. Our Western culture as a whole, however, does not have this problem. (In fact, I had a Spanish teacher who, when traveling to Latin America, would say that she was a Canadiense , rather than an Estados Unidense because of the common opinion that all women from the U.S. are "easy." As a woman traveling abroad alone, this lie is quite understandable!) Rather than getting on my own soapbox about this topic, I'll just give you a quote of scripture and point you in the direction of a few sources for further study, should you be so inclined. These folks say it far better than I could, anyhow!
1 Timothy 2:9-10 (NASB) Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments; but by means of good works, as befits women making a claim to godliness.
Books/Reviews:
http://www.raisingmaidens.com/ I've read her book Raising Maidens of Virtue. Excellent. The book along with more information can be found here. It would make a great study book, particularly for mothers and daughters, but it's also a good read on its own.
http://thecafe.canonpress.org/blog/2008/05/13/the-beauty-of-modesty-by-david-and-diane-vaughan/ This is the only item in my list that I haven't read. It is on my wish-list, though. Promises to be excellent given the reviews and my respect for the reviewers.
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=241348&event=CFN Little book. Tons of great information.
Blogs/Articles:
http://www.boundless.org/2005/answers/a0001297.cfm This article references another book, found here: http://www.canonpress.org/shop/item.asp?itemid=396 Though not specifically about modesty, it is addressed. This is such a good book, we've bought this book more than once and given copies away. Highly recommended.
http://femina.reformedblogs.com/2008/05/14/an-immodest-standard/ I recommend adding this blog to your favorites list if it isn't already.
http://femina.reformedblogs.com/2007/05/16/chastity/
An interesting site David found, geared toward teens. Very good!
http://www.therebelution.com/modestysurvey/
I think that's enough for now. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment