Samuel is giving one of the chicks kangaroo care. She was too weak and the other chicks were not very kind to her upon her arrival. We gave her lots of water, some time away from her little flock, a little body heat, and then put her back for naptime. Hopefully she'll turn around and pull through.
Friday, August 1, 2008
Baby Chicks!
Our baby chicks arrived this morning! We ordered 25 Ameraucanas (blue & green egg layers) and 3 Rhode Island Reds (for a friend) from Ideal Poultry. In October when we ordered Barred Rocks, we ordered from Murray McMurray. I think I will order from Murray McMurray in the future... Two of our chicks from Ideal arrived dead and another few are in poor condition. I called Ideal, and they said to go the weekend, and if any more die, they'll credit us for however many we lose. If it's just the two by Monday morning, then they'll credit us for those two. When we ordered from McMurray, we got 2 extra and none were dead. It may just be the time of year, or possibly the breed, and I think Ideal is doing the right thing by us, but it's just a bummer to open a package and have dead animals there. Not what we were anticipating! I also noticed that the post office had about 5 boxes of chicks to be picked up this morning, and mine were in a different style box. Everyone else in this area appears to have ordered from McMurray, which I think is telling. Anyhow, we will have enough chickens, even if we lose a few, and I look forward to watching them grow up. Chicks change so fast, I may have to post a weekly (or daily!) photo... :)

Samuel is giving one of the chicks kangaroo care. She was too weak and the other chicks were not very kind to her upon her arrival. We gave her lots of water, some time away from her little flock, a little body heat, and then put her back for naptime. Hopefully she'll turn around and pull through.
Samuel is giving one of the chicks kangaroo care. She was too weak and the other chicks were not very kind to her upon her arrival. We gave her lots of water, some time away from her little flock, a little body heat, and then put her back for naptime. Hopefully she'll turn around and pull through.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment