Monday, February 23, 2009

Just Kidding

Kidding season is nearing--for all of us! I have one doe that I thought was bred for an early April due date, but she's already forming an udder. It's mighty early for that, so I think there is a good possibility that an "oops" encounter got her bred a month sooner and that she will be due in early March! Yikes! I certainly hadn't planned on this. There are supplies that I still need to obtain and somehow we need to make a kidding stall in the barn, or get the chickens out of the kidding stall we already have, before kids arrive. I've read that it isn't uncommon for a doe to get bred and then still take a buck on the next cycle... So, it's a wait and see game. Guess we have to be flexible in all the other areas of our life to accomodate this possibility!

This, then, might bring my other doe into question except for the fact that she's not forming an udder whatsoever yet. Though she, too, was bred a cycle sooner, she had to be dehorned between the two breedings, so I think that the first one either didn't take or miscarried--a very likely possibility given the stress of a dehorning.

As I near my "kidding" date, my arms are getting shorter, it seems. My lungs are tired. I'm beginning to swell and need to eat some watermelon. It can't arrive to grocery store shelves soon enough! ....and I need a nap. No kidding.

No comments: