It's quite clear that I'm not as on top of things right now as usual. Growing this baby has a way of zapping me. Tonight, Daddy & the kiddos are at a Jamie Soles concert at our church, and I wish I had the energy to be with them. I've had a restful evening, and maybe a little more spunk than I've had in a few days, so thought I'd tell of some share-worthy things that have happened while I've been silent. Well, maybe only one thing. Daddy & the kiddos just drove up, and my memory fails me...
A few weeks ago, we went to the Colonial Days celebration at Rock Castle in Hendersonville. There were colonist/indian reinactments, pewtersmithing, book binding, hide tanning, and all manner of booths and events. It was quite fun and pretty eye-opening that I had seen so much of that stuff before with my dad's (Jim) involvement in muzzle-loading and flintlock gun clubs and the rendesvous they would hold each year. I could explain to the kiddos exactly what that gun purse and powder horn and ram rod were for!
The highlight of the afternoon (to me) however was Shiphrah's reaction to the pig roasting on the spit. This was a whole pig, and most folks when they saw it, did a quick about face and high tailed it in the other direction. "Ew, Ugh, Gross" were common remarks. But not from Shiphrah. This is the girl who wants to know what type of animal she's eating, and will not accept "pork" or "beef"... no, she wants to know if she's eating cow or pig. She likes pig. So, it's not much of a surprise (well, it really was) to see her reaction to that pig on the spit. Her eyes bugged open, her mouth started drooling, and she walked as if in a transe over to the pig--we had to keep her from stepping in the fire! She said, "Mama, can we eat it? I want some!" When we kept walking, she kept wanting to turn around and go back to the pig... I suppose it won't be too long and we'll have some snouted animal additions to Stoney Heights Farm. :)
2 comments:
Hi, Billie! I hope you are beginning to feel better as the pregnancy progresses. Babies sure take a lot out of us on both sides of the womb, but they are very worth it. Such wonderful blessings from the Lord!
I understand that the "twin" must be hiding behind her "sister"!!!!! Do you think that David has finally reconciled himself to accepting that the goats were the twins he was given? Maybe...
I enjoyed catching up on your blog this weekend since I had time on my hands. I was in smiles and laughter at times while tears and sadness were emotions felt for other posts.
I LOVED the pig reference from Shiphrah! I am not much of a pork eater but Mitch and the kids love it. Mitch got a big kick out of imagining S's face when she saw her yummy delicacy in all its glory!
You must consider raising a hog just for her. However, don't let her feed it and get attached or her pork desires might go right out the window. I will tell you my story of "George" one day.
The demise of all chicks except Noah was a sad tale. Just remember that you were taking care of something more precious (by needing the rest) and what happened to the chicks was no one's fault--just an accident.
I look forward to seeing you and the little Ss when you are feeling better. I can't wait to see you and the baby bump!
Have a great weekend!
Selena
Hi Selena! I hope you're feeling better, too!!! Our prayers are with y'all!
This has been a pretty good week for being in my first trimester. :) I've wondered if where we are in our lives right now plays a role in that--life is a lot less stressful all around this time than any of our previous pregnancies. So while I'm not feeling terrific, I'm far better than I'm used to being at this point. :)
Our goats have to have been our twin girls. :) And just maybe we'll have another set of twin doelings before this baby arrives--who knows!
Shiphrah is a hoot! Today, a man who hunts on our "back 40" (that's really only a "back 10" :) brought over some jerky from the deer he got last week. Shiphrah asked what it was, and of course wouldn't accept "venison jerky." Nope! "Deer," was a satisfactory answer, though. :) Any pigs we get will have to have names like "Pork Chop" or "Ham-n-Eggs" for sure! Can't wait to hear about George! :)
The loss of the chicks was sad, but more than that, just plain gross. I considered leaving the clean-up duty for David, but couldn't justify doing that to him! Noah just peeps up a storm and wants our constant attention. She's almost flown out of the tub already at only a week old! That's about 2 to 3 weeks ahead of schedule--she wants out and to come find a friend! She's becoming quite attached to us already and I'm sure will be a great little mentor for the next batch of chicks we order. :)
I look forward to seeing you, too! Hope your weekend is restful & happy!
Post a Comment