Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Peppers and cheese!

We've been blessed with produce this summer. Even though we didn't grow a garden, we've had gifts of garden veggies from various friends nearly every week. I think I've bought vegetables in the grocery store only once this summer! We received so many cayenne and jalapeno peppers lately, that I've strung them up and am attempting to dry them... My intent is to cut them off the string and grind them up in the coffee grinder when I need hot spices for something.

In other news... We joined the Farm To Consumer Legal Defense Fund after a local farmer was visited by agents from the Tennessee Department of Agriculture... They informed her that selling raw milk was just like selling meth, under state law! We want to have a herd share contract in place that will stand up in any court should the state ever decide to come here and check us out. In the mean time, I have surplus milk that I cannot legally sell or even give away. Crazy, huh? So today I tried my hand at making cheese--Queso Blanco because it is the easiest kind to make, and I needed something that could be done while Shiloh was napping!

Speaking of Shiloh, she's starting to wake up. I'm thankful that she slept long enough for not only the cheesemaking, but also for me to get a couple weeks' worth of ironing done! Time to cuddle the baby and start phonics with the big kids!

No comments: